Quotes of the Day
Selected from Michael Moncur's Collection of Quotations - July 30, 2014
- Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche -- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance, my grandmother used to say, 'The black cat is always the last one off the fence.' I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was undoubtedly true.
- Solomon Short
- Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
- It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf.
- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
- Oil prices have fallen lately. We include this news for the benefit of gas stations, which otherwise wouldn't learn of it for six months.
- Bill Tammeus, in Toronto's National Newspaper, 1991
If an author's name is highlighted, you can click it for more quotations by
that author. Click on a quotation for more information about it, or click on the icons next to each quotation:
- View further information about the quote or link to it on its own page
- Email the quotation to yourself, or to a friend
- View notes about the quotation
Note: These quotes are randomly selected from my collection by an
automatic routine once a day. If you want more quotes, try the Quotations by Author page to
browse our entire collection, or try the Random Quotations Page,
which chooses new quotes each time you load it.