Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
- A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.
- Jeff Bezos (1964 - )
- Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.
- Nikita Khrushchev (1894 - 1971)
- I write because I'm afraid to say some things out loud.
- Gordon Atkinson, Real Live Preacher weblog, 03-13-05
- Traditions are the guideposts driven deep in our subconscious minds. The most powerful ones are those we can't even describe, aren't even aware of.
- Ellen Goodman (1941 - )
- The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
- I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom.
- Bob Dylan (1941 - )
- I wanted change and excitement and to shoot off in all directions myself, like the colored arrows from a Fourth of July rocket.
- Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)
- Charm is the quality in others that makes us more satisfied with ourselves.
- Henri-Frédéric Amiel
- We hope that, when the insects take over the world, they will remember with gratitude how we took them along on all our picnics.
- Bill Vaughan
- If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.
- Juan Ramon Jiminez
- The older I get, the more I feel
- Sharon Olds, Oprah Magazine, May 2004
- Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose.
- Lyndon B. Johnson (1908 - 1973), address to the nation, November 28, 1963
- It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
- James Thurber (1894 - 1961)
- If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.
- Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
- If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.
- George C. Marshall (1880 - 1959)
- Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.
- Charles Mackay
- Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
- Wit is so shining a quality that everybody admires it; most people aim at it, all people fear it, and few love it unless in themselves.
- Lord Chesterfield (1694 - 1773), letter to his godson, December 18, 1765
- If you can't do what you want, do what you can.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996