Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.
- Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)
- The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman
- I started concentrating so hard on my vision that I lost sight.
- Robin Green, Northern Exposure, Burning Down the House, 1992
- If you cannot lift the load off another's back, do not walk away. Try to lighten it.
- Frank Tyger
- Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes, and dance.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, February 2003
- The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882), 'Morituri Salutamus,' 1875
- The summer night is like a perfection of thought.
- Wallace Stevens (1879 - 1955)
- It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.
- William Blake (1757 - 1827)
- Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
- Emo Phillips
- It's not about vein' mad at everything. It's about bein' REALLY mad at the right stuff.
- Ice T., Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, 06-13-12
- No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately.
- Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592)
- Pain (any pain--emotional, physical, mental) has a message. The information it has about our life can be remarkably specific, but it usually falls into one of two categories: "We would be more alive if we did more of this," and, "Life would be more lovely if we did less of that." Once we get the pain's message, and follow its advice, the pain goes away.
- Peter McWilliams, Life 101
- Isn't it good just to be alive on a day like this? I pity the people who aren't born yet for missing it.
- L. M. Montgomery (1874 - 1942), Anne of Green Gables, 1908
- I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking (1942 - )
- It may make your blood boil and your mind may not be changed, but the practice of listening to opposing views is essential for effective citizenship. It is essential for our democracy.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), University of Michigan Commencement, 2010
- Help others get ahead. You will always stand taller with someone else on your shoulders.
- Bob Moawad
- Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.
- C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963)
- Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.
- Cary Grant (1904 - 1986)
- The talent should speak for itself.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- Just because this isn't in your life plan doesn't mean this isn't exactly where you're supposed to be.
- Nahnatchka Khan , Don't Trust the B- in Apartment 23, Daddy's Girl, April 2012