Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- One of the common causes of serious difficulty takes the form of parental self-discovery. The newly adopted child brings out submerged feelings or behavior in his parents that make them dislike themselves. This can be such a severe blow to their self- esteem that they must eradicate the cause of their distress. Sometimes the only way that parents are able to do that is by returning the child.
- Claudia Jewett Jarrett, Adopting the Older Child, 1978
- If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
- People care more about being thought to have taste than about being thought either good, clever or amiable.
- Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
- A man's respect for law and order exists in precise relationship to the size of his paycheck.
- Adam Clayton Powell Jr. (1908 - 1972), "Keep the Faith, Baby!", 1967
- The power of illustrative anecdotes often lies not in how well they present reality, but in how well they reflect the core beliefs of their audience.
- David P. Mikkelson, Snopes.com, 04-10-04
- No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.
- Yogi Berra (1925 - )
- Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves.
- Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
- I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't.
- Jules Renard (1864 - 1910)
- ...it is as hard to do your duty when men are sneering at you as when they are shooting at you.
- Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924)
- The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust (1871 - 1922)
- Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
- Elvis Costello (1954 - ), Interview in Musician magazine, October 1983
- I have a problem about being nearly sixty: I keep waking up in the morning and thinking I'm thirty-one.
- Elizabeth Janeway, Between Myth and Morning, 1974
- The things that make us safest from others make us least from ourselves.
- Danah Boyd, apophenia, 01-08-07
- Above all things, never be afraid. The enemy who forces you to retreat is himself afraid of you at that very moment.
- Andre Maurois (1885 - 1967)
- Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
- Robert Orben
- Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act I
- No good deed goes unpunished.
- Clare Booth Luce (1903 - 1987)
- If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if you didn't ask me, I'd still have to say it.
- George Burns (1896 - 1996)
- It's not about the writing. It's about the feelings behind the words.
- Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata, Animal Crossing: Wild World, 2005
- A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)