Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.
- Peter Drucker (1909 - 2005)
- I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924)
- If you can't do what you want, do what you can.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
- The best way to try to motivate somebody is by being direct with them. To be honest with them. Lies are never the right way to get your message across.
- Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, My Future Self n' Me, 2002
- Dreams that do come true can be as unsettling as those that don't.
- Brett Butler, 'Knee Deep in Paradise'
- Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859 - 1930), (Sherlock Holmes) Valley of Fear, 1915
- One of the most sublime experiences we can ever have is to wake up feeling healthy after we have been sick.
- Rabbi Harold Kushner
- He makes people pleased with him by making them first pleased with themselves.
- Lord Chesterfield (1694 - 1773)
- A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes.
- James Feibleman
- I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.
- George Eliot (1819 - 1880)
- I care not so much what I am to others as what I am to myself.
- Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592)
- A good home must be made, not bought.
- Joyce Maynard, "Domestic Affairs"
- Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.
- Salvador Dali (1904 - 1989)
- The world is full of women blindsided by the unceasing demands of motherhood, still flabbergasted by how a job can be terrific and torturous.
- Anna Quindlen (1953 - ), O Magazine, May 2003
- In many cases, the more you try to compete, the less competitive you actually are.
- Kathy Sierra, Creating Passionate Users, 07-22-06
- The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
- Dick Werthimer
- No foreign policy-no matter how ingenious-has any chance of success if it is born in the minds of few and carried in the hearts of many.
- Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919), Speech, San Francisco, May 13, 1903
- First secure an independent income, then practice virtue.
- Greek Proverb
- Life is full of obstacle illusions.
- Grant Frazier
- It's not the voting that's democracy, it's the counting.
- Tom Stoppard (1937 - ), Jumpers (1972) act 1