Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- That is the saving grace of humor, if you fail no one is laughing at you.
- A. Whitney Brown
- Keep your broken arm inside your sleeve.
- Chinese Proverb
- Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose.
- Alan Moore (1953 - ), Watchmen, 1986
- Avoidance is a great tool to get away from food in my face all day long.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- It was reassuring to know exactly where one stood. That one stood at the end of the line was not pertinent. At least there was a line in which to subsist.
- Linda Berdoll, Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife, 2004
- There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.
- Peter Drucker (1909 - 2005)
- It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
- Genius hath electric power which earth can never tame.
- Lydia M. Child
- The best way to try to motivate somebody is by being direct with them. To be honest with them. Lies are never the right way to get your message across.
- Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, My Future Self n' Me, 2002
- Of all afflictions, the worst is self-contempt.
- Berthold Auerbach (1812 - 1882)
- The hatred you're carrying is a live coal in your heart - far more damaging to yourself than to them.
- Lawana Blackwell, The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark, 1999
- The happiest excitement in life is to be convinced that one is fighting for all one is worth on behalf of some clearly seen and deeply felt good.
- Ruth Benedict (1887 - 1948)
- That's what building a body of work is all about. It's about the daily labor, the many individual acts, the choices large and small that add up over time, over a lifetime to a lasting legacy. It's about not being satisfied with the latest achievement, the latest gold star, because the one thing I know about a body of work is that it's never finished. It's cumulative. It deepens and expands with each day you give your best. You may have setbacks and you may have failures, but you're not done. You haven't even started.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), Arizona State Commencement Speech, 2009
- A friend told me that each morning when we get up we have to decide whether we are going to save or savor the world. I don't think that is the decision. It's not an either-or, save or savor. We have to do both, save and savor the world.
- Kate Clinton
- Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784), quoted in Boswell's Life of Johnson
- You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty.
- Sacha Guitry (1885 - 1957)
- When things are at their worst I find something always happens.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), 'Of Human Bondage', 1915
- Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted.
- Fred Allen (1894 - 1956)
- In this life we get only those things for which we hunt, for which we strive, and for which we are willing to sacrifice.
- George Matthew Adams
- If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)