Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- The greatest justice in life is that your vision and looks tend to go simultaneously.
- Kevin Bacon, People, 06-13-2011
- I think people don't place a high enough value on how much they are nurtured by doing whatever it is that totally absorbs them.
- Jean Shinoda Bolen
- Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative.
- Kurt Vonnegut (1922 - 2007), "Cold Turkey", In These Times, May 10, 2004
- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive.
- Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894)
- You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was.
- Irish Proverb
- We are each responsible for our own life - no other person is or even can be.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine
- To sit in the shade on a fine day, and look upon verdure is the most perfect refreshment.
- Jane Austen (1775 - 1817)
- Life is an unbroken succession of false situations.
- Thornton Wilder (1897 - 1975)
- I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is two weeks.
- Totie Fields
- One thing you will probably remember well is any time you forgive and forget.
- Franklin P. Jones
- For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
- Virginia Woolf (1882 - 1941)
- A self that is only differentiated - not integrated - may attain great individual accomplishments, but risks being mired in self-centered egotism. By the same token, a person who self is based exclusively on integration will be well connected and secure, but lack autonomous individuality. Only when a person invests equal amounts of psychic energy in these two processes and avoids both selfishness and conformity is the self likely to relect complexity.
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, 1990
- My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
- Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)
- What is youth except a man or a woman before it is ready or fit to be seen?
- Evelyn Waugh (1903 - 1966)
- One kind word can warm three winter months.
- Japanese proverb
- People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.
- A. J. Liebling (1904 - 1963)
- I came to realize that life lived to help others is the only one that matters and that it is my duty...This is my highest and best use as a human.
- Ben Stein, E! Online, 12-20-03
- Anyone can revolt. It is more difficult silently to obey our own inner promptings, and to spend our lives finding sincere and fitting means of expression for our temperament and our gifts.
- Georges Rouault (1871 - 1958)
- There are no such things as applied sciences, only applications of science.
- Louis Pasteur (1822 - 1895)
- Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)