Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Human Dignity has gleamed only now and then and here and there, in lonely splendor, throughout the ages, a hope of the better men, never an achievement of the majority.
- James Thurber (1894 - 1961)
- Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long.
- Ogden Nash (1902 - 1971)
- Appetite, with an opinion of attaining, is called hope; the same, without such opinion, despair.
- Thomas Hobbes (1588 - 1679)
- How beggarly appear arguments before a defiant deed!
- Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892)
- How could you be a Great Man if history brought you no Great Events, or brought you to them at the wrong time, too young, too old?
- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
- Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it. Plan more than you can do, then do it.
- Fear is a question: What are you afraid of, and why? Just as the seed of health is in illness, because illness contains information, your fears are a treasure house of self-knowledge if you explore them.
- Marilyn Ferguson
- I trust that everything happens for a reason, even when we're not wise enough to see it.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine
- You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.
- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955), (attributed)
- Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark places where it leads.
- Erica Jong
- I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.
- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, 2012
- It's not a 9-5 job. It's an every moment you're awake job because you actually enjoy the work that you're doing.
- Jeffrey Kalmikoff, Designing for Community with Zero-Advertising Brands, SXSW 2006
- I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
- Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)
- War is much too serious a matter to be entrusted to the military.
- Georges Clemenceau (1841 - 1929)
- O that a man might know the end of this day's business ere it come!
- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), Julius Caesar, 1599-1600
- Television enables you to be entertained in your home by people you wouldn't have in your home.
- David Frost
- There ain't no free lunches in this country. And don't go spending your whole life commiserating that you got raw deals. You've got to say, 'I think that if I keep working at this and want it bad enough I can have it.'
- Lee Iacocca (1924 - )
- America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud (1856 - 1939)
- Never fight an inanimate object.
- P. J. O'Rourke (1947 - )
- My whole career can be summed up with 'Ignorance is bliss.' When you do not know better, you do not really worry about failing.
- Jeff Foxworthy