Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
- Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)
- There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.
- Robert Lynd (1879 - 1949), The Blue Lion and Other Essays
- In life we donít get what we want, we get in life what we are. If we want more we have to be able to be more, in order to be more you have to face rejection.
- Farrah Gray
- I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
- Mitch Hedberg (1968 - 2005)
- A poet who reads his verse in public may have other nasty habits.
- Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988), Time Enough for Love, 1978
- What has a man's face to do with his character? Can a man of good character help having a disagreeable face?
- Ann Radcliffe (1764 - 1823), The Mysteries of Udolpho, 1764
- If you really want to do something, you do it. You don't save it for a sound bite.
- Liz Friedman, House M.D., Hunting, 2005
- I'm of the mind that even people who have limitations, if they have a curiosity, they will find a way to explore it.
- Tish Grier, love and hope and sex and dreams, 04-12-2006
- Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods.
- Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Nichomachean Ethics
- By a curious confusion, many modern critics have passed from the proposition that a masterpiece may be unpopular to the other proposition that unless it is unpopular it cannot be a masterpiece.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
- After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager."
- William S. Burroughs (1914 - 1997)
- Ah! Memory impairment: the free prize at the bottom of every vodka bottle!
- Chuck Lorre, Steven Molaro and Eric Kaplan, Big Bang Theory, The Agreement Dissection, 2011
- To try to be better is to be better.
- Charlotte Cushman (1816 - 1876), quoted in O Magazine, December 2003
- That consciousness is everything and that all things begin with a thought. That we are responsible for our own fate, we reap what we sow, we get what we give, we pull in what we put out. I know these things for sure.
- Madonna (1958 - ), O Magazine, January 2004
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.
- Saint Francis of Assisi (1181 - 1226)
- I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education.
- Wilson Mizner (1876 - 1933)
- Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
- Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)
- Beauty and seduction is nature's tool for survival, because we will protect what we love.
- Louis Schwartzberg, Marie Curie, 2011
- I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.
- Woody Allen (1935 - )
- When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm beginning to believe it.
- Clarence Darrow (1857 - 1938)