Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Never pretend to a love which you do not actually feel, for love is not ours to command.
- Alan Watts
- Such is the inconsistency of real love, that it is always awake to suspicion, however unreasonable; always requiring new assurances from the object of its interest.
- Ann Radcliffe (1764 - 1823), The Mysteries of Udolpho, 1764
- To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others.
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
- Perhaps the feelings that we experience when we are in love represent a normal state. Being in love shows a person who he should be.
- Anton Chekhov (1860 - 1904)
- To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970), Marriage and Morals (1929) ch. 19
- Love is not enough. It must be the foundation, the cornerstone - but not the complete structure. It is much too pliable, too yielding.
- Bette Davis (1908 - 1989)
- Clarity of mind means clarity of passion, too; this is why a great and clear mind loves ardently and sees distinctly what it loves.
- Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
- The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
- Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)
- Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.
- Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000), Charlie Brown in "Peanuts"
- It is the caring and sharing that count—love is not prevented by the things and the time that you haven’t shared.
- Claudia Jewett Jarrett, Adopting the Older Child, 1978
- There's an evolutionary imperative why we give a crap about our family and friends. And there's an evolutionary imperative why we don't give a crap about anybody else. If we loved all people indiscriminately, we couldn't function.
- David Foster, House M.D., TB or Not TB, 2005
- To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
- David Viscott, How to Live with Another Person, 1974
- Couples are jigsaw puzzles that hang together by touching in just enough points. They're never total fits or misfits.
- Diane Ackerman, One Hundred Names for Love: A Stroke, A Marriage, and the Language of Healing, 2011
- There's a lot to be said for self-delusionment when it comes to matters of the heart.
- Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, First Snow, 1993
- Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Romania.
- Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967), Not So Deep as a Well (1937), "Comment"
- One's first love is always perfect until one meets one's second love.
- Elizabeth Aston, The Exploits & Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy, 2005
- All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon sand.
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox, O Magazine, February 2004
- Love is everything it's cracked up to be…It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.
- Erica Jong, O Magazine, February 2004
- People are such great mysteries. Just when we think we have understood them, a wonderful new aspect shows in them.
- Eucharista Ward, Match For Mary Bennet, 2009
- When love is in excess it brings a man no honor nor worthiness.
- Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC), Medea, 431 B.C.
- There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), "On Reading and Writing"
- What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do…?
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)
- They wouldn't call it falling in love if you didn't get hurt sometimes, but you just pick yourself up and move on.
- Gregory Thomas Garcia, Elijah Aron, Jordan Young, Raising Hope, Cheaters, April 2011
- Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
- Sometimes when you look back on a situation, you realize it wasn't all you thought it was. A beautiful girl walked into your life. You fell in love. Or did you? Maybe it was only a childish infatuation, or maybe just a brief moment of vanity.
- Henry Bromel, Northern Exposure, The Big Kiss, 1991
- There is no remedy for love but to love more.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862), Journal, July 25, 1839
- Just because you love someone doesn't mean you have to be involved with them. Love is not a bandage to cover wounds.
- Hugh Elliott, Standing Room Only weblog, February 16, 2004
- Passion makes the world go round. Love just makes it a safer place.
- Ice T, The Ice Opinion
- A kiss is a lovely trick, designed by nature, to stop words when speech becomes unnecessary.
- Ingrid Bergman (1915 - 1982)
- Love is the difficult realization that something other than oneself is real.
- Iris Murdoch (1919 - 1999)