Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- The only joy in the world is to begin.
- Cesare Pavese (1908 - 1950)
- This is the best kind of voyeurism, hearing joy from your neighbors.
- Chuck Sigars, The World According to Chuck weblog, October 14, 2003
- Give not over thy soul to sorrow; and afflict not thyself in thy own counsel. Gladness of heart is the life of man and the joyfulness of man is length of days.
- Do not judge men by mere appearances; for the light laughter that bubbles on the lip often mantles over the depths of sadness, and the serious look may be the sober veil that covers a divine peace and joy.
- Edward Chapin
- Short is the joy that guilty pleasure brings.
- Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)
- During [these] periods of relaxation after concentrated intellectual activity, the intuitive mind seems to take over and can produce the sudden clarifying insights which give so much joy and delight.
- Fritjof Capra, physicist
- This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman, Epistle Dedicatory
- We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.
- Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)
- I feel like a tiny bird with a big song!
- Jerry Van Amerongen, Ballard Street, 08-18-05
- I've grown to realize the joy that comes from little victories is preferable to the fun that comes from ease and the pursuit of pleasure.
- Lawana Blackwell, The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter, 1998
- I cannot believe that the inscrutable universe turns on an axis of suffering; surely the strange beauty of the world must somewhere rest on pure joy!
- Louise Bogan
- Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- May your walls know joy; May every room hold laughter and every window open to great possibility.
- Maryanne Radmacher-Hershey, 1995
- The most profound joy has more of gravity than of gaiety in it.
- Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592)
- Joy is prayer - Joy is strength - Joy is love - Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls.
- Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997)
- The joy of a spirit is the measure of its power.
- Ninon de Lenclos (1620 - 1705)
- I define joy as a sustained sense of well-being and internal peace - a connection to what matters.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine
- There is an alchemy in sorrow. It can be transmuted into wisdom, which, if it does not bring joy, can yet bring happiness.
- Pearl Buck (1892 - 1973)
- Winning is important to me, but what brings me real joy is the experience of being fully engaged in whatever I'm doing.
- Phil Jackson
- Joy is not in things; it is in us.
- Richard Wagner
- Learning to live in the present moment is part of the path of joy.
- Sarah Ban Breathnach
- My mind to me a kingdom is,
Such present joys therein I find,
That it excels all other bliss.
- Sir Edward Dyer
- Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwhile.
- Sir Wilfred Grenfell (1865 - 1940)
- There is no greater joy nor greater reward than to make a fundamental difference in someone's life.
- Sister Mary Rose McGeady
- When you jump for joy, beware that no one moves the ground from beneath your feet.
- Stanislaw J. Lec (1909 - 1966), "Unkempt Thoughts"
- Cease, every joy, to glimmer on my mind,
But leave---oh! leave the light of Hope behind.
- Thomas Campbell (1777 - 1844)
- Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing.
- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), Troilus and Cressida, Act 1, Scene 2