Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
- The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
- Al Batt, in National Enquirer
- Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.
- Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)
- The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.
- Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892)
- A person is never happy except at the price of some ignorance.
- Anatole France (1844 - 1924)
- Happiness arises in a state of peace, not of tumult.
- Ann Radcliffe (1764 - 1823), The Mysteries of Udolpho, 1764
- The discovery of a new dish does more for human happiness than the discovery of a new star.
- Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755 - 1826), Physiologie du Gout, 1825
- Happiness depends upon ourselves.
- Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)
- Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values.
- Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982)
- Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand.
- Baruch Spinoza (1632 - 1677)
- Content makes poor men rich; discontentment makes rich men poor.
- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
- If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
- All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it!
- Bob Newhart (1929 - )
- The pursuit of happiness is a most ridiculous phrase; if you pursue happiness you'll never find it.
- C. P. Snow (1905 - 1980)
- Happiness is not the absence of problems, but the ability to deal with them.
- Charles de Montesquieu (1689 - 1755)
- Cherish all your happy moments: they make a fine cushion for old age.
- Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)
- This is the best kind of voyeurism, hearing joy from your neighbors.
- Chuck Sigars, The World According to Chuck weblog, October 14, 2003
- With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.
- Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC), The Confucian Analects
- Sometimes it's hard to avoid the happiness of others.
- David Assael, Northern Exposure, Our Tribe, 1992
- He wanted to live life in such a way that if a photograph were taken at random it would be a cool photograph. Things should look right. Fun; there should be a lot of fun and no more sadness than absolutely necessary.
- David Nicholls, One Day, 2010
- All sanity depends on this: that it should be a delight to feel heat strike the skin, a delight to stand upright, knowing the bones are moving easily under the flesh.
- Doris Lessing
- Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.
- Eddie Cantor (1892 - 1964)
- Happiness is a mystery like religion, and should never be rationalized.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
- A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it: it would be hell on earth.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), "Man and Superman" (1903), act I
- Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.
- George Burns (1896 - 1996)
- Happiness is the only sanction of life; where happiness fails, existence remains a mad and lamentable experiment.
- George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
- To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.
- Gustave Flaubert (1821 - 1880)
- Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)
- Man is the artificer of his own happiness.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862), Journal, January 21, 1838
- If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us least live so as to deserve it.
- Immanuel Hermann Fichte