Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- We all flow from one fountain Soul. All are expressions of one Love. God does not appear, and flow out, only from narrow chinks and round bored wells here and there in favored races and places, but He flows in grand undivided currents, shoreless and boundless over creeds and forms and all kinds of civilizations and peoples and beasts, saturating all and fountainizing all.
- John Muir (1838 - 1914), Badè's Life and Letters of John Muir: June 9, 1872 letter to Miss Catharine Merrill, from New Sentinel Hotel, Yosemite Valley
- We must accept that this creative pulse within us is God's creative pulse itself.
- Joseph Chilton Pearce
- If I really wanted to pray I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd go out into a great big field all alone or into the deep, deep, woods, and I'd look up into the sky—up—up—up—into that lovely blue sky that looks as if there was no end to its blueness. And then I'd just FEEL a prayer.
- L. M. Montgomery (1874 - 1942), Anne of Green Gables, 1908
- Or perhaps she's just softening me up: she's a Baptist, she'd like me to find Jesus, or vice versa, before it's too late. That kind of thing doesn't run in her family: her mother Reenie never went in much for God. There was mutual respect, and if you were in trouble, naturally you'd call on him, as with lawyers, but as with lawyers, it would have to be bad trouble. Otherwise it didn't pay to get too mixed up with him.
- Margaret Atwood (1939 - ), The Blind Assassin
- It is the creative potential itself in human beings that is the image of God.
- Mary Daly
- Sometimes it seems like God is difficult to find and impossibly far away. We get so caught up in our small daily duties and irritations that they become the only things that we can focus on. What we forget is that God's love and beauty are all around us, every day, if only we would take the time to look up and see them.
- Matthias, Correction Weblog, 11-01-03
- I think there's a god and I know it's not me.
- Michael J. Fox (1961 - ), Good Housekeeping, June 2011
- No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen.
- Minor White
- I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
- Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997)
- I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
- God made everything out of nothing, but the nothingness shows through.
- Paul Valery (1871 - 1945)
- Doubting God's existence is okay and perfectly acceptable within Christianity as long as the person doubting remains obedient and committed to the Christian path.
- Real Live Preacher, Real Live Preacher weblog, 06-10-04
- EVERY path may lead you to God, even the weird ones. Most of us are on a journey. We’re looking for something, though we’re not always sure what that is. The way is foggy much of the time. I suggest you slow down and follow some of the side roads that appear suddenly in the mist.
- Real Live Preacher, RealLivePreacher.com Weblog, February 13, 2003
- I’m searching through all that has ever been hoped, in praise of what can never be known.
- Real Live Preacher, RealLivePreacher.com Weblog, February 13, 2004
- When someone is giving you their theology, their God words, you should listen hard and be very gentle. The time to deliver your God words is when you are asked.
- Real Live Preacher, Real Live Preacher weblog, 03-25-05
- How do you define God? Like this. A God I could understand, at least potentially, was infinitely more interesting and relevant than one that defied comprehension.
- Robert J. Sawyer (1960 - ), "Calculating God", 2000
- You can't be angry with God and not believe in him at the same time.
- Sara B. Cooper, House, Damned If You Do, 2004
- Live among men as if God beheld you; speak to God as if men were listening.
- Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD), Epistles
- The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
- Shakti Gawain
- Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire cat.
- Sir Julian Huxley (1887 - 1975)
- To believe in God or in a guiding force because someone tells you to is the height of stupidity. We are given senses to receive our information within. With our own eyes we see, and with our own skin we feel. With our intelligence, it is intended that we understand. But each person must puzzle it out for himself or herself.
- Sophy Burnham
- Whatever God's dream about man may be, it seems certain it cannot come true unless man cooperates.
- Stella Terrill Mann
- When a man takes one step toward God, God takes more steps toward that man than there are sands in the worlds of time.
- The Work of the Chariot
- God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
- A God that can be understood is no God. Who can explain the Infinite in words?
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), The Razor's Edge, 1943
- We didn't think much in the air corps of a fellow who wangled a cushy job out of his C.O. by buttering him up. It was hard for me to believe that God thought much of a man who tried to wangle salvation by fulsome flattery. I should have thought the worship most pleasing to him was to do your best according to your lights.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), The Razor's Edge, 1943
- We want God to come and save us. But he won’t. God doesn’t stop levees from failing, he doesn’t stay the force of tsunamis, and he doesn’t stop planes from smashing into buildings. Deus Ex Machina is overrated.
- Waiter Rant, Waiter Rant weblog, 09-09-05
- I say to mankind, Be not curious about God. For I, who am curious about each, am not curious about God - I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least.
- Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892)
- I myself do nothing. The Holy Spirit accomplishes all through me.
- William Blake (1757 - 1827)
- If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank.
- Woody Allen (1935 - )