Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Some people will never learn anything because they understand everything too soon.
- Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744)
- Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944), "The Little Prince", 1943
- Language is the source of misunderstandings.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)
- Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand.
- Baruch Spinoza (1632 - 1677)
- A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
- Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.
- Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)
- It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.
- Charles Baudelaire (1821 - 1867)
- The world only goes round by misunderstanding.
- Charles Baudelaire (1821 - 1867)
- I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
- Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)
- The people may be made to follow a path of action, but they may not be made to understand it.
- Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC), The Confucian Analects
- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
- Doris Lessing
- The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
- Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)
- All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
- Galileo Galilei (1564 - 1642)
- Before you contradict an old man, my fair friend, you should endeavor to understand him.
- George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
- When you really trust someone, you have to be okay with not understanding some things.
- Gordon Atkinson, Real Live Preacher weblog, 07-08-04
- Furious activity is no substitute for understanding.
- H. H. Williams
- Much learning does not teach understanding.
- Heraclitus (540 BC - 480 BC), On the Universe
- A man thinks that by mouthing hard words he understands hard things.
- Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
- One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
- Jane Austen (1775 - 1817), Emma
- Only if we understand can we care. Only if we care will we help. Only if we help shall they be saved.
- Jane Goodall (1934 - )
- In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
- Johann von Neumann (1903 - 1957)
- You can see into the future if you have a basic understanding of how people are likely to act.
- John Green, An Abundance of Katherines, 2008
- It is well to give when asked but it is better to give unasked, through understanding.
- Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931), 'On Giving,' The Prophet, 1923
- You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.
- Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)
- Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.
- Marie Curie (1867 - 1934)
- You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way.
- Marvin Minsky
- It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.
- Pierre Beaumarchais (1732 - 1799)
- I can't understand it. I can't even understand the people who can understand it.
- Queen Juliana (1909 - 2004), of the Netherlands
- It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it.
- Upton Sinclair (1878 - 1968)