Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- To him that you tell your secret you resign your liberty.
- Anonymous, Proverb
- Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
- No one gossips about other people's secret virtues.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
- The best way to divulge a secret is to tell someone not to say anything about it.
- Charles Fleischer, TED Talk: All things are Moleeds, February 2005
- All secrets are deep. All secrets become dark. That's in the nature of secrets.
- Cory Doctorow, Someone Comes To Town, Someone Leaves Town, 2005
- If you have to keep something secret it's because you shouldn't be doing it in the first place!
- David Nicholls, One Day, 2010
- Look in the mirror. The face that pins you with its double gaze reveals a chastening secret.
- Diane Ackerman
- The first rule of life is to reveal nothing, to be exceptionally cautious in what you say, in whatever company you may find yourself. If you have a secret, you have only to whisper it to your dearest friend with the strictest injunction that it will go no further, and within half a day the story is all over town, and when you do make what would seem to be a perfectly sensible remark, you will find it reported in the most grotesque form, thus incurring no end of criticism to rebound upon you.
- Elizabeth Aston, The Darcy Connection, 2008
- Trade your secrets and become who you are.
- Frank Warren, PostSecret, 09-06-08
- There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), "Mrs. Warren's Profession" (1893), act III
- If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.
- Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)
- A neurosis is a secret that you don't know you are keeping.
- Kenneth Tynan
- The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart.
- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)
- Secret thoughts and open countenance will go safely over the whole world.
- Scipione Alberti