Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.
- I am a Conservative to preserve all that is good in our constitution, a Radical to remove all that is bad. I seek to preserve property and to respect order, and I equally decry the appeal to the passions of the many or the prejudices of the few.
- Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881), campaign speech at High Wycombe, England, November 27, 1832
- The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.
- Hannah Arendt (1906 - 1975)
- The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), Notebook, 1935
- When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative.
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)
- It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing a single idea.
- Robert Anton Wilson
- A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.
- Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)
- I never dared to be radical when young
For fear it would make me conservative when old.
- Robert Frost (1874 - 1963), 'Ten Mills,' A Further Range, 1936
- A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment.
- Willis Player