Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Destiny waits alike for the free man as well as for him enslaved by another's might.
- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC), The Libation Bearers
- No trumpets sound when the important decisions of our life are made. Destiny is made known silently.
- Agnes de Mille (1909 - 1993)
- Destiny is but a phrase of the weak human heart - the dark apology for every error. The strong and virtuous admit no destiny. On earth conscience guides; in heaven God watches. And destiny is but the phantom we invoke to silence the one and dethrone the other.
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803 - 1873)
- There is a mysterious cycle in human events. To some generations much is given. Of other generations much is expected. This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)
- Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences.
- J. K. Rowling, J. K. Rowling Official Website
- It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny.
- Jean Nidetch
- Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings.
- John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963)
- I think it's absolutely a blessing when you just know what your purpose is and your destiny. I don't think it's a curse at all.
- Lady Gaga (1986 - ), The Today Show, 12-08-08
- A man that don't believe in destiny don't need to know what his destiny is.
- Laura Moncur (1969 - ), Merriton: Twelve Hours from San Francisco, 08-20-08
- Young people have an almost biological destiny to be hopeful.
- Marshall Ganz, quoted by Sara Rimer in New York Times
- Often we don't even realize who we're meant to be because we're so busy trying to live out someone else's ideas. But other people and their opinions hold no power in defining our destiny.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, November 2009
- Man is asked to make of himself what he is supposed to become to fulfill his destiny.
- Paul Tillich (1886 - 1965)
- Great people and great athletes realize early in their lives their destiny, and accept it. Even if they do not consciously realize the how, the where, the what.
- Percy Cerutty
- Destiny is for people who are too lazy to create alternate timelines.
- R. Stevens, Diesel Sweeties, 10-05-11
- Anatomy is destiny.
- Sigmund Freud (1856 - 1939), Collected Writings, 1924
- It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
- We are face to face with our destiny and we must meet it with high and resolute courage. For us is the life of action, of strenuous performance of duty; let us live in the harness, striving mightily; let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.
- Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919), Address at the opening of the gubernatorial campaign, New York City, October 5, 1898
- Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
- Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.
- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
- The ancient saying is no heresy, hanging and wiving goes by destiny.
- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), The Merchant of Venice, Act II, sc. 9