Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- A clear conscience is a good pillow.
- American Proverb
- A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.
- A guilty conscience needs no accuser.
- A good conscience is a continual Christmas.
- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
- If all the world hated you and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved of you and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends.
- Charlotte Bronte (1816 - 1855), Jane Eyre pg. 61
- A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.
- Doug Larson
- In the courtroom of the conscience, a case is always in progress.
- Dutch Proverb
- Conscience is God's presence in man.
- Emanuel Swedenborg (1688 - 1772)
- There is one thing alone
that stands the brunt of life throughout its course:
a quiet conscience.
- Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC), Hippolytus, 428 B.C.
- Conscience is what makes a boy tell his mother before his sister does.
- Evan Esar (1899 - 1995)
- Fear is the tax that conscience pays to guilt.
- George Sewell
- Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.
- George Washington (1732 - 1799)
- Conscience is a mother-in-law whose visit never ends.
- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
- Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking.
- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956), A Mencken Chrestomathy (1949)
- Before I can live with other folks, Iíve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesnít abide by majority rule is a personís conscience.
- Harper Lee (1926 - ), To Kill a Mockingbird
- The conscience of a people is their power.
- John Dryden (1631 - 1700)
- All a man can betray is his conscience.
- Joseph Conrad (1857 - 1924)
- Conscience is the perfect interpreter of life.
- Karl Barth (1886 - 1968)
- I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions.
- Lillian Hellman (1905 - 1984), letter to Committee on Un-American Activities of the House of Representatives, May 19, 1952
- Most people sell their souls, and live with a good conscience on the proceeds.
- Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946), Afterthoughts (1931) "Other People"
- Freedom is a clear conscience.
- Conscience is the voice of the soul.
- Polish Proverb
- There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscience that dwells in the heart of every man.
- Polybius (205 BC - 118 BC), History
- Courage without conscience is a wild beast.
- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
- Conscience and reputation are two things. Conscience is due to yourself, reputation to your neighbour.
- Saint Augustine (354 AD - 430 AD)
- Conscience is, in most men, an anticipation of the opinion of others.
- Sir Henry Taylor
- It behoves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others; or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826), Letters to Benjamin Rush, April 21, 1803
- ...the safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.
- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)