Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- How many a dispute could have been deflated into a single paragraph if the disputants had dared to define their terms.
- Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)
- The Argument from Intimidation is a confession of intellectual impotence.
- Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), The Virtue of Selfishness, 1964
- My parents only had one argument in forty-five years. It lasted forty-three years.
- Cathy Ladman
- He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument.
- Chinese Proverb
- I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.
- Dave Barry (1947 - )
- Use soft words and hard arguments.
- English Proverb
- The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments.
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), The Gay Science, section 191
- The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
- No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
- Jascha Heifetz (1901 - 1987)
- That's the beauty of argument-if you argue correctly, you're never wrong.
- Jason Reitman and Christopher Buckly, Thank You for Smoking, 2006
- If you go in for argument, take care of your temper. Your logic, if you have any, will take care of itself.
- Joseph Farrell
- Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.
- Josh Billings (1818 - 1885)
- Behind every argument is someone's ignorance.
- Louis D. Brandeis (1856 - 1941)
- Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
- It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.
- Pierre Beaumarchais (1732 - 1799)
- In a heated argument we are apt to lose sight of the truth.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
- The argument is at an end.
- Saint Augustine (354 AD - 430 AD)
- I learned an important lesson in the art of debate. Present your argument clearly, arm yourself with cutting wit and of course, bob and weave!
- Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata, Animal Crossing: Wild World, 2005
- It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
- William G. McAdoo (1863 - 1941)
- With reasonable men I will reason; with humane men I will plea; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost.
- William Lloyd Garrison (1805 - 1879)
- For they are yet ear-kissing arguments.
- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)