Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Good habits result from resisting temptation.
- Ancient Proverb
- Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life.
- Bible, New Testament, James, Chapter 1, Verse 12
- I never resist temptation because I have found that things that are bad for me do not tempt me.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), The Apple Cart (1930)
- There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.
- James Branch Cabell (1879 - 1958)
- Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address.
- Lane Olinghouse
- I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.
- Mae West (1892 - 1980)
- There are several good protections against temptations, but the surest is cowardice.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), Following the Equator (1897)
- I can resist anything but temptation.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act I
- The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891
- Why comes temptation, but for man to meet and master and crouch beneath his foot, and so be pedestaled in triumph?
- Robert Browning (1812 - 1889)
- Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch.
- Robert Orben
- The last temptation is the greatest treason: to do the right deed for the wrong reason.
- T. S. Eliot (1888 - 1965)
- Temptation rarely comes in working hours. It is in their leisure time that men are made or marred.
- W. N. Taylor
- Often the best way to overcome desire is to satisfy it.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), The Razor's Edge, 1943
- It is good to be without vices, but it is not good to be without temptations.
- Walter Bagehot (1826 - 1877), "Biographical Studies", 1863