Articles and Features
Bette Davis' Birthday
Week of April 5, 1998
April 5, 1908, Bette Davis was born. "Why in the world is she talking about Bette Davis?" I hear you asking yourself, but let me tell you this woman said at least a few interesting things that deserve merit. In addition to her fantastic career as an actress, she fought the contract system and was pivotal in its demise (along with many other actors like Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Ida Lupino).
My only problem with Bette Davis has to do with two movies: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? and Jezebel. Both movies had been lauded to me as wonderful movies, but by the time I saw them, they were not nearly as good as my mind had made them. Jezebel seemed like a Gone With the Wind rip-off and Baby Jane was just disturbing. It wasn't until I saw Of Human Bondage that I became acquainted with the ability of Bette Davis that compared with her legend. She was so naughty in that movie, that I hated her. Only a truly great actress can make me hate her.
See what Bette had to say to the world.
Introduction and quote compilation by Laura S. Moncur, Staff Writer.
The following books and tapes are available through Amazon.com:
- "This became a credo of mine...attempt the impossible in order to improve your work."
- "I'd marry again if I found a man who had fifteen million dollars, would sign over half to me, and guarantee that he'd be dead within a year."
- "With the newspaper strike on, I wouldn't consider dying."
- Bette Davis, on being told that her death was rumored
- "She's the original good time that was had by all."
- Bette Davis, about a starlet
- "Love is not enough. It must be the foundation, the cornerstone - but not the complete structure. It is much too pliable, too yielding."
For more information about Bette Davis, try these links:
Of Human Bondage VHS Tape starring Bette Davis - The movie that haunted me is just as good today as it was when it was filmed.
Bette Davis Speaks Hardcover by Boze Hadleigh - An entire book of sarcastic remarks from Bette Davis. Read the online review from Amazon.com.
All About Bette : Her Life from A-Z Hardcover by Randall Riese - 504 pages about Bette Davis and her life. An odd design for a biography (items listed alphabetically), but informative none the less.
The Complete Films of Bette Davis Paperback by Gene Ringgold - A listing of all her films with critiques.
- Bette Davis Movies - A listing from Movies Unlimited of Bette Davis' films available for purchase through them. Plot listings for all her films so you can choose your favorite at the video store.
- Bette Davis Links - An incredibly well-webbed page (considering it's from Geocities) that includes TONS of links to other Bette Davis sites.
- Movie Quotes for All About Eve - A page devoted to quotations from that movie.