Articles and Features
The Death of Andre Gide
February 19, 1951
Week of February 15, 1998
I recognized Andre's name immediately when I perused the list of births and deaths. I knew him because I had so many quotes by him in my collection. Every quote I've seen from him has ended up with my motivational quotes. There are few people who are in touch with truth so clearly; here is a glimpse into his world.
Introduction and quote compilation by Laura S. Moncur, Staff Writer.
The following books and tapes are available through Amazon.com:
- "Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it."
- "It is better to be hated for what you are than to be love for what you are not."
- "Obtain from yourself all that makes complaining useless. No longer implore from others what you yourself can obtain."
- "There are admirable potentialities in every human being. Believe in your strength and your youth. Learn to repeat endlessly to yourself, 'It all depends on me.'"
- "So long as we live among men, let us cherish humanity."
- "Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself - and thus make yourself indispensable."
- "Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change."
- "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not."
- "Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."
- "The most decisive actions of our life -- I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future -- are, more often than not, unconsidered."
For more information about THE SUBJECT, try these links:
The Immoralist Paperback by Andre Gide, Richard Howard (Translator)- A psychological novel.
Madeleine Paperback by Andre Gide, Justin O'Brien (Translator) - A novel describing his marriage to his cousin Madeleine.
Andre Gide Hardcover by Thomas Cordle - A biography on the life of this author. This book is part of the Twayne's World Author Series.
- Andre Gide - This site recommends biographies to read and provides rememberance of Gide's contemporaries. Excerpts from Gide's work are available.
- A Starter Course on Andre Gide - A site that include a brief biography and a short list of his works. Also includes links to the site listed above.
- Creative Quotations from Andre Gide - A small site with a few more quotes from this distinguished author.
- André Gide - Another short biography and a list of suggested reading.